You are here
Home > Economy >

COVID-19: Egypt allows gradual hotels reoperations

120 Views

COVID-19: Egypt allows gradual hotels reoperations

 A small facility or a whole floor at every tourist resort will be allocated for isolating confirmed or suspected coronavirus cases.

Over the past week more than 70 hotels have received the health safety certificate required for reoperation after verification by relevant authourities.

The hotels were certified after they have followed the health guidelines laid out by the Egyptian government and the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Egypt’s tourism and antiquities ministry said that this was allowed after an inspection from the health ministry, the chamber of hotels, governorate authorities and the tourism ministry.

Ahram online reports that the hotels were allowed to start receiving guests again starting May 15 with a maximum capacity of 25 per cent.

The hotels that received the permission last week are in five governorates: the Red Sea, South Sinai, Alexandria, Suez and Cairo, the tourism ministry said in a statement.

Assistant to the minister of tourism and antiquities Abdel-Fattah El-Assi stated that some hotels applied for reoperation but they failed to meet the conditions required.

He added that these hotels are entitled to adjust their conditions and request to be inspected again.

Hotels are allowed to accommodate guests at a 50 per cent capacity starting early June while they will not be permitted to hold parties, weddings, and overnight activities.

They must have a clinic with a resident doctor and must ensure the availability of personal protective kits and disinfecting materials.

A small facility or a whole floor at every tourist resort will be allocated for isolating confirmed or suspected coronavirus cases.

Hotel restaurants can only serve pre-set menus as buffet services will be banned and dining tables should be set at a safe distance to reduce the risk of transmitting the virus.

International flights are still suspended in Egypt ever since the government first halted them in March.

Egypt has decided to impose stricter measures during the Eid El-Fitr holiday, including extending its curfew hours and suspending public transportation to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

According to Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, as of mid-June the state will announce a gradual resumption of several activities, including sporting clubs and youth centres, while following precautionary measures against the virus, he said.

He said that this may also include the gradual reopening of places of worship.

The government will also consider the possibility of a gradual return of in-house dining at restaurants with strict measures later in June, Madbouly said.

Egypt has so far recorded 707 coronavirus fatalities and 15,786 positive cases.

Leave a Reply

Top
%d bloggers like this: